I have spend again some time to create an updated version of the MSDN style help for the DNN framework: a wealth of information for every serious DNN (module) developer. I updated all docs to reflect the status of DNN 4.9.0. I have used SandCastle Help File Builder and various other tools to extract all code comments from the source version of the DNN core in order to create this documentation. So no documenting myself, only reusing what is already hidden in our treasure box, the DNN core.
You will find the results of my work on http://www.codeplex.com/DNNHelpSystem. Free to be used for anyone interested.
What can you do with the files that I have created?
If you want to browse help:
- Extract the .zip with the .chm file to a local disk
- Double click the .chm file
- Now you can browse all help items MSDN style
If you build your module against an Install version of DNN and reference the DotNetNuke dll's in your project (which I recommend above using the DNN source version in your project):
- Unzip DNNHelpSystem_Intellisense.zip into the folder where you referenced the DotNetNuke core .dll's, so that the .xml and dll's go together
- Now you have intellisense in your project for the referenced DNN dll's
If you want to do some SandCastle help file building yourself
- You can get some ideas what I have by using the .sfhb project file that I have supplied
Well, as you will find out, there is a lot of useful documentation, but there is enough room for improvement. I am still learning to use SandCastle and tools, so some improvement in the various files over time can be expected as well.
I will create a DNN 5.0.0 version as soon as this release has become officialy available.
Care to join? Just send me an e-mail: [email protected].