On July 3rd, this updated version of the DotNetNuke Gallery module successfully completed its passage through the DotNetNuke Release Tracker testing process and has been officially released on it's CodePlex project site. Both the install and source versions may be downloaded from http://dnngallery.codeplex.com/releases/view/62511
Note that Gallery 4.04.00 requires a minimum DotNetNuke version of 5.06.02.
This release is directed primarily toward repackaging the module to take advantage of the DNN 5 version installer manifest, refactoring all calls to core API methods that were deprecated in DNN version 5.x, and making the module more XHTML compliant. A few minor enhancements including the ability to set the initially displayed album and an improved slideshow (using jQuery) were also included.
Here are the detailed release notes for Gallery v 4.04.00:
- Completed the following tasks:
- ID: 20284 - Updated copyright year (2011) across all module files.
- ID: 20285 - Converted Gallery from a VS2008 to VS2010 Web Application Project.
- ID: 20285 - Refactored code to remove 43 compile warnings re core methods marked obsolete/deprecated in DNN 5.x.
- ID: 20285 - Repackaged with DNN 5 manifest (dnn) file and separate release notes and license file.
- Fixed the following issues:
- ID: 15082 - Revised all user control markup and code as well as css stylesheets in all four themes for XHTML 1.0 Strict compatibility. Removed all XHTML 1.1 deprecated html markup attributes and in-line styles (except were necessary to programatically inject a width value based on configuration settings).
- ID: 15082 - Reviewed and modified where necessary all controls for better consistancy of styling between controls.
- ID: 19351 - Unable to add child album containing uni-code characters if the album name began with a uni-code character.
- ID: 19353 - Adding filename containing % character results in broken thumbnail and other errors.
- ID: 19354 - Fixed missing localization of item (Copyright) in Exif data grid.
- ID: 20102 - Incorrect formatting of value "Permissable File Upload Types" - movie in Add File control.
- ID: 20331 - Number of media items contained in album not shown in standard, list or card views.
- ID: 20224 - Localization for client field ("Notes") is incorrect ("Client") in Add File control.
- ID: 20283 - Multiple controls of the same ID error in media context menu when DNN FolderID and FileID happen to be identical on same Gallery page.
- ID: 20289 - Icon button tooltips are not displayed in list view.
- ID: 20291 - Popup slideshow started from thumbnail context menu does not "pop-up".
- ID: 20444 - Fixed performance issue due to potentially huge (30,000 +) number of Maker Note data value pairs when displaying Exif data grid.
- Added the following enhancements:
- ID: 20439 - Added configuration setting "Default Album" to force Gallery to dispaly a specific album (rather than the top level) when browsing to a page containing the module.
- ID: 20509 - Revised client-side slideshow script to use jQuery to provide smooth fade-in/fade-out between images that should work in most late version browsers rather than the legacy code's IE only filter.
- ID: 20510 - Added capability to pause slideshow on hover over current image.
- ID: 20511 - Restyled and extended functionality of the Album Maintenance control including eliminating post-backs on operations such as "Select All" and "Deselect All".
- ID: 20512 - Refactored gallery configuration, album, and pending uploades caching to use expired cache item callback (GetCachedData) pattern available in DNN 5.x.
The module has been tested in each of the DotNetNuke 6.0 Beta 1 releases and seems to function correctly after several issues with core API methods were discovered and fixed. Those issues were all submitted to Gemini support tracker and are marked as checked in/closed for the next DotNetNuke 6.0 release.
Gallery 4.04.00 should be considered the final release in the 4.x series as it is a very "dated" design that deserves to be retired. I will continue working off and on this summer on DotNetNuke MediaGallery 5x which is being designed from the ground up to leverage current best practices including WCF web services, a Silverlight 4 UI, DNN 6 folder providers to bring media from various social media and photo sharing sites into the Gallery, and new concepts such as ad hoc media collections, group owned/shared media, tagging/taxonomy, geolocation tagging, and much more. This is also the first DotNetNuke module whose code I'm writing in C# rather than VB. Unfortunately with my busy schedule of other committments this summer, concentrated work on MediaGallery 5x may have to wait until I have more time in the fall.