I am very happy to announce that the Media Module v03.03.03 was released today. This release of the module marks the beginning of an overall solution for a DotNetNuke® to allow you to display nearly any form of media. I still owe everyone a blog post detailing the road map for the module to prove that though. However, that road map wouldn’t be possible to achieve without today’s release. This release laid down most of the architecture needed to facilitate the expected changes that are coming to this module.
Once again, the major goals of this release were three-fold:
- Fix any known existing bugs
- Make the module fully XHTML compliant, CSS changeable, and jQuery friendly
- Re-organize the code and project structure to make future updates easier
I am very confident that the goals above are achieved in this release.
I have worked on many applications over the years, and numerous modules. However, this first round of updates was a great learning experience. I am so grateful to have had help from many community members who helped make this release possible. Some of these members include: Ralph Williams, Timo Breulmelhof, Scott Willhite, Chris Paterra, and more. Thank you all! Chris Hammond helped too, but never constructively! ;)
In short, this module will allow you to play or display media in the following formats: jpg, jpeg, jpe, gif, bmp, png, swf, avi, wmv, midi, wav, asx, mp3, mpeg, asf, wma, ram, rpm, rm, mov, qt (in order to use most of these file formats, you will need to enable them in your host settings)
As of this version, media streams are not officially supported.
Here is the change log for this release:
- 15555 - Action Menu Behind Windows Media Player
- 15556 - Secured or Database File Storage Type
- 15558 - Could Not Load File or Assembly 'DotNetNuke.Modules.Media'
- 15559 - EventQueue.ProcessMessage: Message Processing Failed
- 15560 - IUpgradeable Implemention Causes Errors on Clean Install
- 15561 - Rendering Should Be CSS Changeable
- 15562 - Event Viewer Shows Logged Exception Following Install
- 16178 - Implement IHydrateable
- 16180 - Changing an Existing Media Item Retains Dimensions
This release is also supporting a wide array of DotNetNuke® versions with the following minimum system requirements:
- DotNetNuke version 4.06.02 or higher
- .Net Framework version 2.0 or higher
- SQL Server 2000 or higher
The release tracker took much longer than expected, but only because it showed that the module was not completely ready for release. I am very grateful for the release tracker process. It’s going to keep all of you from cursing at me and yelling at me as much. ;)
I certainly hope that you enjoy this release. I have worked very hard on it, and I plan to work even harder getting the new features implemented. Please use the following resources to help me keep this module up to your standards going forward:
Once again, enjoy, and have fun using this module! Download this module from the official DNN Media Module page.