I'm considering integration the new DNN 6.2.0 Notification system into the Feedback module. For details on the Notification system have a look here - http://www.dotnetnuke.com/Resources/V.... In essence it provides a centralised system that allows users to easily see when they have a notification and to potentially act on them.
The challenge I have is that the Notification system is really focused around sending and receiving notifications from DNN users, whilst the Feedback module supports sending from and to any email address - i.e. email addresses that may not be associated with a DNN user.
So I need to decide if it is worthwhile... These are the things I'm thinking about:-
- Send To - Could look-up email address against user list and send Notification if user found. Otherwise send plain email.
- Send to User Roles - Can send notification
- Category Value as Send To - as for 1.
- Send From - Could look-up email address against user list and send Notification from user found. Otherwise send from Portal Admin.
- If logged on - Send Notification from logged on user
- If not logged on - Send Notification from Portal Admin
However the way Notifications work, is that for the email that is sent out from the portal administrator with no concept of using the Reply To capability of emails. This means you would not be able to just click reply, and send to the email address entered. Therefore the entered email address would need to be included in the message.
Ideally the entered email address, which can be stored in the From field of the Notification tables, should be used as the Reply To address, but the core messaging system doesn't support this at this time.
Any thoughts on whether this is worthwhile?