Recently, Telerik Sitefinity was acquired by Progress Software. Ektron and EPiServer were acquired by Accel-KKR (a private equity firm), then combined. Acquisitions are a way of life in the Web CMS industry.
REGISTER for our Webinar:
Your CMS Vendor Got Acquired. Don’t Worry, This is a Good Thing!
List of Prior Acquisitions
While this list is far from complete, consider this list of acquisitions:
- 2001: Microsoft acquires NCompass Labs
- 2002: FileNet acquires eGrail
- 2005: Hummingbird acquires RedDot Solutions
- 2006: IBM acquires FileNet
- 2007: SDL acquires Tridion
- 2009: Autonomy acquires Interwoven
- 2009: OpenText acquires Vignette
- 2010: Adobe acquires Day Software
- 2011: SDL acquires Alterian
- 2011: Oracle acquires FatWire
- 2011: HP acquires Autonomy
If Your CMS Vendor is Acquired
So what happens if your Web CMS vendor is acquired? You’re probably asking a few questions:
Do my licensing terms still apply?
- Do I have a new customer support contact?
- What's the future of the product?
- Is it too risky to upgrade my version?
- Will my deployment model change?
- Will there be pricing changes?
OK, MY VENDOR WAS ACQUIRED. WHAT TO DO?
If your CMS vendor is acquired, you’re inclined to panic.
If you ask Cathy McKnight (@cathymcknight), industry analyst and founding partner at Digital Clarity Group, she’ll urge you first to take a deep breath. Cathy has helped clients in this situation. She’ll tell you this is an opportunity that you can make the most of.
Get Cathy’s advice by
registering for our upcoming webinar. Cathy will give you guidance on:
- Immediate next steps
- How to weigh your options
- Advice on migrating to a new CMS (if necessary)
Infographic on Web CMS Vendor Acquisitions
Our infographic provides further details on acquisitions in the Web CMS industry.