Three days and I am still not able to make the Starter Kit work. A lot of the mistakes were on purpose, or because I decided to do something differently from the book.
For instance, I decided to call the module KhmerSupport.HitCounter and I setup my solution as such. WRONG!!! It has to be setup as HitCounter and then through a long procedure, to change the references to include the Company name. I understand why this is necessary, but I still think, starting with the full name and then being a little bit more careful when changing the sqldataprovider would involve less work.
It would help if the instructions were a little bit more step by step, with bullet lists and checklists... I went to the process so many times, I could probably do it blindfolded. One small item of confusion: when the book instructs to create a folder Providers and therein a folder Data Providers (with a space) - I decided to use DataProviders (without the space). The rest of the chapter gave me right: the files have to go in Providers\DataProviders.
A few issues with the creation of the SqlDataProvider project. The book instructs to right-click the solution in the solution explorer - then click Add->New Project. After the instructions how to open the project, the book says: "Make sure that therewon't be a directory created for the solution." The problem with that is that when you create a new project by right-clicking the solution, there is no option to create a folder for the solution or not. VS will create a folder for the project anyway (this seems to differ from a folder for the solution).
When you try to create a new project through File->New->Project, you do get the option to create that folder for the solution together with the choice to create a new solution or add to the solution. I opted to add to the solution, and extended the path to Providers\DataProviders. Whatever way, VS created a folder in DataProviders for the new project. As a result, ..\..\..\..\bin did not refer to the /bin folder but to the /DesktopModules/bin folder. There is still a possibility there that I haven't tried yet, but the book was not clear on that.
I get as far as bringing all modules together. The build output path for the sqldataprovider indicating ..\..\..\..\..\bin\. The SqlDataProvider compiles correctly in the /bin folder. Then comes the part where you are instructed to rename YourCompany in one of the ascx files to the company name (in my case KhmerSupport in ViewHitCounter.ascx). There is actually only one occurrence of YourCompany and that is in the inherits option in the control line
Then the errors start coming. I read in a forum posting that making a reference to ths sqldataprovider dll solved someone's problem. I could do that (though there is nothing about that in the book) because I had built the dll separately. That took care of most of the errors.
But I am not there yet. The error messages I get now are:
Name 'EditURL' is not declared
Name 'IsEditable' is not declared
Name 'lstContent' is not declared.
These messages come from the .vb files
The ascx file has warnings. The control line generates a warning that 'EditURL' is not declared. The Register line generates a warning that "~/controls/ModuleAuditControl.ascx" does not exist (it is however there in reality). Furthermore, the CssClass "Normal" seems to be not defined.
That is how far I get. I've gon through the procedure dozens of times now, but this is the point where it gets stuck, every time
There is still one major point in which my set-up differs from what is described in the book, and tomorrow I will attack that. I have tweaked my hosts file so that by removing a few comment marks (or putting them back) in the host file, I can quickly change the main URL from development server to production server. The book seems to use localhost. I do not see how that would make a difference but I'm running out of ideas.
Suggestions are welcome.