Traditionally, the DNN Core has only suggested upgrading from version to version, without skipping any versions. This is because, in the past, this was the only use case that was effectively tested prior to subsequent releases was upgrades from the version immediately prior. This has changed recently.
Please visit the Suggested Upgrade Path Documentation for the latest information on upgrade paths that have been reported as successful based on experiences of many DNN Community members.
This article was originally reprinted from The Mighty Blog, with permission.
Our thanks go to Will Strohl.
The upgrade path table has since be moved to Dnn Docs to have a community maintained single source of truth.
DotNetNuke has been around since 2002, and in that time has had a number of changes which can complicate matters. These include:
- the changeover from DNN 3.x to DNN 4.x - DNN 3.x used asp.net 1.1, whereas DNN 4.x and above require asp.net 2.0
- editions prior to 4.6.2 - Prior to 4.6.2 site admins had to manually merge a number of key fields in web.config such as the machinekey and both connection strings. With 4.6.2 DotNetNuke introduced functionality known as xmlmerge which automatically does the web.config merging on your behalf.
- DotNetNuke 5.2 - this version introduced the requirement for SQL 2005 and .net 3.5 SP1
- With the 7.0 release DotNetNuke has some additional changed pre-requisites, please see here for further details.
- 3.02.02 - 4.03.07 - please refer to the Detailed installation guide "Upgrade to DotNetNuke 4.x chapter". This blog post also contains information about upgrading from 3.2.2. to 4.x: Preparing for an upgrade
- When upgrading from a version before 5.3.0 to after 5.3.0, you may encounter this error during the upgrade: “Type 'Web.HttpResponse' is not defined.” This error primarily occurs if an the XML module is already installed. To prevent this, please check PRIOR to upgrading if the XML module is installed in your DotNetNuke version. If it is installed, please upgrade it PRIOR to upgrading DotNetNuke to version 4.3.5, available from CodePlex
- In Dnn 9.2.0, multiple APIs where removed that where marked deprecated in Dnn 7 and before. Most of the core modules have been updated since and you can find them at https://github.com/dnncommunity. If you have other modules installed, please check for updates before upgrading beyond Dnn 9.2.0