I've been hitting problems installing DNN9. When I follow the basic dev install procedure:
1) install SQL Express 2016
2) Create a folder C:\websites\dnndev.me
3) unzip the Install package to this folder
4) Create dnndev.me website and point it to the C:\websites\dnndev.me folder
5) Give the dnndev.me app pool account Modify access to the C:\websites\dnndev.me folder
6) browse to the website and follow the wizard
on the final step, I get the error:
No valid default database connection detected.
Standard Database setup option is unavailable
I have tested this on my dev laptop with VS2017 installed. I have also tested it on two Virtual box VMs which are identical apart from having VS2017 installed on one of them. The error only occurs on the VM with VS2017 installed. It works fine on the other VM. This suggests that VS2017 is conflicting with the DB connection. I know that VS does install a version of SQL express, and wondered if this may be the cause of my problem.
I obviously need to get DNN running on the same box as VS 2017 for dev purposes.
Can anyone give me any help or ideas?