I tried to report this bug issue to your bug reporting website at https://dnntracker.atlassian.net/secure/Dashboard.jspa but there is no option in there to create a new issue and when I try to register there I get an error that no more licenses are available for registration. Am I missing a button or option some where on that dashboard to open a new issue?
This appears to be a pretty major bug that we reproduced in 2 different DNN 7.4.0 (353) version sites. This error occurs when you try to create a new Parent or Child site using an exported Portal Template. The problem does not occur when selecting either the "Blank" or "Default" Website Templates instead.
1) Went to "Host -> Site Management" and chose "Export Site Template". Checked all option boxes, applied name and description and clicked "Export Template".
2) Template and Resources files were created properly without issue in the /Portals/_default/ folder as they should be.
3) Clicked "Add New Site" button. Filled in applicable information and selected my new Template file from the "Template" dropdown box. Clicked "Create Site".
4) Site creation process starts as normal and runs for about 5-10 seconds and then the following error message is reported at the top of the Add Site window:
Error parsing Website TemplateObject reference not set to an instance of an object. at DotNetNuke.Entities.Portals.PortalController.ParseTemplateInternal(Int32 portalId, String templatePath, String templateFile, Int32 administratorId, PortalTemplateModuleAction mergeTabs, Boolean isNewPortal, LocaleCollection& localeCollection) at DotNetNuke.Entities.Portals.PortalController.CreatePortalInternal(Int32 portalId, String portalName, UserInfo adminUser, String description, String keyWords, PortalTemplateInfo template, String homeDirectory, String portalAlias, String serverPath, String childPath, Boolean isChildPortal, String& message)
Intended Result: New Parent Site should have been created using the exported Template and Resources file.
Upon searching the domain's folder structure it was discovered that a new Portals sub folder named "1" had been created for the new site and there are entries for the new portal in the "Portals" table of the database as well as other portal related tables within the database. However, inspecting those database tables it is clear that the operation was incomplete as many fields are set to "NULL" or do not exist at all when compared to the default 0 Portal within the tables.
- Further testing on a brand new DNN 7.4.0 (353) installation resulted in the exact same error and results.
- We also attempted to create a new Parent Site using a different Portal template file from a skin we had just purchased and that portal template file also reproduced the exact same error and results.
- We then setup a new DNN 7.3.4 installation and were able to create a Parent Site using the portal template from our purchased skin package without any issues at all. So the issue seems isolated to version 7.4.0.
This is a very major issue as it appears new Sites within 7.4.0 cannot be created using any templates other than the "Blank" or "Default" website templates including within DNN. We have a customer who urgently needs to create 7 new Parent Sites within their DNN 7.4.0 installation using an Exported Portal Template from the default 0 portal they have designed over the last few weeks. Please help us to resolve this bug/issue asap. We unfortunately are on a time table to roll out these new Parent Sites and cannot wait for DNN to release a newer version of the platform that fixes this bug. I am a technician with good experience and knowledge, I can follow any solution steps provided to resolve this issue.
We searched the bug reporting site you have and found very similar bugs reported in DNN 7.3.4 pertaining to Portal Templates using other languages that was fixed in 7.4.0. We believe this issue may be similar or even the same.