Over the course of this series, I’ve been developing a DotNetNuke technology template for building DotNetNuke modules with the latest open source libraries and technologies, as well as Entity framework and WCF Data Services. As planned, the template is being tweaked and enhanced throughout the series. Today I uploaded a new version (1.2) of the template. Version 1.2 includes some great enhancements that make writing DNN modules even easier!
Template download site
Thank you to Antonio Chagoury for spending time with me recently at the Microsoft MVP Summit testing out version 1.2 of the template and making some great suggestions.
Here is a short video of using version 1.2 of the template to build a DotNetNuke module
Release Notes: ver 1.2 - 03.05.2012
- Moved script insertion from View markups to the module base class, to simply creation of new views
- The EF Connection string is now auto-generated in the service class, so no entries are needed in the web.config file (yeah)
- A number of environmental variables are now initialized in the module base class and injected into the views to assist the viewmodels in accessing things like the module path, edit urls, module home url, and the service url. This will greatly reduce the code you need to write in your views and view models
- Removed AutoMapper from the template, as the user of the knockout mapping library is now used to dynamically create models from service data
- Changed the code to properly construct the service URL to handle situations where the DotNetNuke site is located at the root or virtual directory or child portal
I will continue the series shortly. The next video, which I hope to have up by the end of this week, will demonstrate adding, editing and deleting data using the template.