I'm trying to upgrade my website from DNN 5.5.1 to 7.3.3. Following the recommended upgrade path I attempted an upgrade from 5.5 to 5.6.8 first but i came across an issue: after manually running the installation from "domain.com/Install/install.aspx?mode=upgrade", DNN said the upgrade was complete; however, when I clicked the "View Portal" button, I got a page saying the website was unavailable.
Somethings to note:
*When running the upgrade, I noticed that the page did not specify if each change was either "failure" or "success"; each line was blank after the colon (:).
*Also, I noticed that after restoring website using the backup, I did not need to restore the database. The website just started working again. This may be a clue.
Would you know what happened here? Below are the exact steps that I followed in my attempt to upgrade:
- Backup the file system
- Duplicate the entire site folder
- Duplicate the entire database
- In the upgrade package unblock the contents in the Properties menule
- Modify web.config file using notepad (stops DNN from auto upgrading)
- Look for "<add key="autoupgrade" value="true" />"
- Set it to False. This will prevent the site from auto upgrading the site once the main url has been accessed
- "Extract All" from the upgrade package
- Copy all documents
- Go back to root of site and paste
- Overwrite files
- Fire the upgrade process, in the browser
- Go to "domain.com/Install/install.aspx?mode=upgrade"
- When complete, click "Click Here to Access Your Portal"
- Upgrade complete