I just installed a brand new instance of 06.01.02 using an automated process offered by my hosting provider. It worked flawlessly.
As soon as I got on the site for the first time, the "Critical Updates Available" button was displayed so I downloaded the 07.00.06 Upgrade ZIP file, extracted it to a folder and sent it to my new site using FTP.
I visited the new site in my browser and the DotNetNuke Updgrade wizard started as expected.
I entered my host username and password and clicked the "Upgrade Now" button.
The wizard went to the next step and it has just been sitting there with the timer counting up the seconds, but the progress bar is blank and the % complete remains at 0%. All of the buttons are greyed out. It's been sitting there like that for 15 minutes.